Minutes 11th April 2017

BISHOP’S FROME & FROMES HILL PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of a meeting held on Tuesday 11th April 2017 at Bishops Frome Village Centre (following the Annual Parish Meeting)
2017/45 To receive declarations of interest and written requests for dispensation
Cllr Partridge declared an interest in agenda items 49.5 & 49.6 as owner of the garage to which the invoices were being paid. An entry was made in the register of interests and signed by Cllr Partridge.
2017/46 To adopt the minutes of the previous meeting
A copy of the draft minutes had been circulated to all councillors prior to the meeting. They were accepted as a true record and signed by Cllr Partridge (Chair).

2017/47 Public Participation
There were no members of the public present.

2017/48 Neighbourhood Plan
Cllr Pudge presented the Consultation Statement and Herefordshire Council comments on it to councillors and confirmed that the steering committee were working towards Reg16 stage.
The Parish Council would like to thank Cllr Pudge, Mr David Preece and Mr Ian Scully for all the work they have put in to preparing the Neighbourhood Plan so far.
2017/49 Finance
49.1 Treasurers Feedback from Audit Answers course – Mr Brooman reported that the course had been informative and advised that this year will be the final year in which Grant Thornton will be the council’s auditors. They will be replaced by PKF Littlejohn. He learned that Clerk’s should now be using Edition 10 of the Arnold-Baker Local Council Administration Guide. The Clerk confirmed that she only had edition 9. Edition 10 can be purchased from HALC at a cost of £92.00. Councillors asked the Clerk to look for alternative stockists and check how often the guide is likely to be updated. The Treasurer highlighted some of the main points he took from the course, most of which the council are already doing. A few updates were reported a) when councillors sign cheques they should now initial the invoice as well as the cheque stub, b) a letter of appointment should be issued to the internal auditor and he should provide a report at least once per year, c) Standing Orders & Financial Regulations should be reviewed annually.
HALC highly recommended that all Parish Councils gain the General Power of Competence as it enables them to provide funds for anything which is lawful. The Clerk and Treasurer explained the qualifying criteria for this which involves the council having a qualified Clerk and 2/3rds of councillors having stood for election rather than being co-opted. This was therefore deferred until the next election year ie. 2019.
49.2 Annual Return – Intermediate Assertions – Mr Brooman advised councillors that Grant Thornton require an intermediate review for the year ending 31st March 2017 under Assertion 8. This was discussed and carried forward to the next meeting.
49.3 Bishops Frome Bus Shelter – Cllr Pudge confirmed that he had, had the parts made for the additional broken pane and it was due to be fitted in the next few days. He will obtain a bill for the next meeting.
49.4 Bishops Frome Village Centre tarmacking – Bishops Frome Village Centre have appealed to the Parish Council for support to replace the broken paving area with tarmac. Only one quote has so far been received. Cllr Pudge agreed to arrange for other quotes by the next meeting to compare. The Clerk agreed to ask for a copy of the Village Centre accounts for inspection.
Mr Brooman asked permission to pay the outstanding invoices:-
49.5 B C Partridge (for Pete) – 2 hours mowing in Bishops Frome – £17.00
49.6 B C Partridge- Diesel – £29.17
49.7 HALC – Audit Answers – £30.00
49.8 RoSPA – Playground Inspection – £77.00
Cllrs agreed for them all to be paid.

2017/50 Planning
50.3 P171026/F – The Olde Shop, The Badhams, Bishops Frome WR6 5BP
Variation of Conditions 2,7 and 12d of application 143683 and variation of
Condition 2 of application 162546
Cllr Pudge explained the application amendments to councillors. He had checked the council planning website and no parishioners had commented on the application amendments. There were no objections from councillors and therefore felt the application should be supported.
Cllr Ms Sincock wanted to ask the Parish Council to be mindful with future applications that it seems planning permission is being sort more and more for a particular development to get permission granted and then the developers are making significant amendments eg. Adding storeys, garages, conservatories and so on. Councillors agreed that they would do this.

2017/51 Fromes Hill Report
No further developments to report from the Field Committee.

2017/52 Bishops Frome Report
52.1 Drainage – matter still ongoing – deferred to next meeting.
52.2 Village Gateway – ongoing – deferred to next meeting.
52.3 Village Centre licensing application – Cllr Mrs Roberts explained that the Village Centre were applying for a full drinks license. At the moment they only have a Ten’s License which means alcohol can only be sold on 10 occasions per year. The Committee felt that by having their own license they may be able to attract more business and more funds for the running of the facility. Cllrs discussed this matter but it was not clear how the bar would be run and who would run it. Cllr Mrs Roberts said she would find out more information for the next meeting.
52.4 Broadfield Close parking area – Cllr Guise reported on his and Cllr Ms Sincock’s meeting with Fortis Living. The original proposal to make 3-4 parking spaces had been changed beyond all recognition to a total replacement of the grass area to a parking area. This was not what the residents wanted and therefore he suggested that The Parish Council does not have any further involvement. This was agreed by all.
52.5 Walkway to sides of Play Area – the rains had caused soil to run onto the paving slabs to the right of the Play Area making them slippery. Cllr Parker agreed to take a look and clear the path.
52.6 RoSPA Play Area inspection report – the Clerk confirmed that she had received the Play Area inspection report. Most items reported Low or Very low risk but the overall assessment was Medium Risk. Having spoken to the Inspector, she was able to confirm that this was not a bad report, but reflected the risk factor of the highest risk piece of equipment on site. The Basket Swing has a medium risk assessment and so the overall risk is classed as medium. The Inspector was very complimentary about the improvements we have made since his last inspection and said how much better it now was for the children.
The report showed that the self-closing gate was no longer self-closing. Cllr Partridge said he would look to see what repairs were required.
The Clerk reported that she had spoken to Mr Ellwood regarding the painting of the old equipment and he had confirmed that if the conditions were suitable, the repainting would be completed during May.

2017/53 Sports Committee Report
Cllr Hydes advised that it had been drawn to his attention that there were large holes in the carpark of the Sports Pavilion. Cllr Partridge said that he would have a look at the car park.
A meeting of the Sports Committee is to be arranged.

2017/54 Footpaths Officer Report
Nothing to report.

2017/55 To note the information sheet and date of next meeting
The Clerk drew attention to the information sheet and confirmed the date of the next meeting as Tuesday 16th May 2017. This will be the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council followed by the Ordinary Parish Council Meeting for May.

There being no other business the meeting concluded at 21.10