Minutes 13th February 2018

 Minutes of a meeting held at 7.30pm on Tuesday 13th February 2018 at Bishops Frome Village Centre

Present: Cllr Nash (Chair), Cllr Partridge, Cllr Guise, Cllr Ms Sincock, Cllr Pudge, Cllr Parker, Cllr Hydes and Cllr Mrs Roberts.
Mr Brooman, the Council’s Treasurer was also present.
2 local Community Support Officers were present.

Before the meeting opened, Community Support Officers, Joe Barson and Dave Alexander introduced themselves to Councillors and gave an overview of their roles and how they can provide support to the Parish.
Councillors were particularly interested in the Community Speed Watch Scheme and the Officers confirmed that they could provide support for this and would chase the information which had already been requested by the Clerk. They advised that we would need around 10 volunteers to operate the equipment and they would receive full training on both operating the equipment and Health and Safety. They said that they could also set up and operate speed monitoring themselves in the areas of most concern.
The Clerk was asked to put a notice in the Valley News asking for volunteers.
The Officers explained that they would like to promote extra security measures to members of the public to reduce burglary from sheds. They offered to run an awareness session and bring marking equipment for tools, bicycles etc to deter thieves. Cllrs would like to take advantage of such a session.

The Community Support Officers left the meeting and Ward Councillor Ellie Chowns arrived.

2018/15 To receive apologies for absence
Cllr Marshall was not present.

2018/16 To receive declarations of interest and written requests for dispensation
There were no declarations of interest.

2018/17  To adopt the minutes of the previous meeting
A copy of the draft minutes had been circulated to all councillors prior to the meeting. They were accepted as a true record and signed by Cllr Nash (Chair).

2018/18 Public Participation
There were no members of the public present.

As the Ward Councillor was required to attend another Parish Council meeting her report was moved up the agenda.

2018/27 Ward Councillor Report
Cllr Chowns gave a report on the various meetings she had attended over the last month which included subjects such as the new University, Adult Social care, Highways resurfacing, the Hereford bypass and s.106 monies.
She advised that she has set up a Facebook page which provides a weekly update of activities.
She explained that if we have any feedback or questions for the public meetings of Hereford Council they can be sent to the Monitoring Officer for presentation. She promised to forward on the information explaining how to do this.
Cllr Chowns then left the meeting.

2018/19 Neighbourhood Plan
Cllr Pudge advised Councillors that the Referendum will be held on March 15th but he has not received any communication from the Neighbourhood Planning Team on how we should take things forward from here. Cllrs agreed that we need to present the completed plan to Parishioners to gain support for it. It was agreed that copies of the plan should be deposited with local businesses such as pubs and shops for Parishioners to view. It was also agreed that the next Parish Council Meeting should focus on the Neighbourhood Plan and become an open evening for Parishioners to view all the documents and ask questions about the plan. The Clerk agreed to put up some notices advertising this fact. She also agreed to contact the Election team to ensure that they would be dealing with the voting on referendum day.

2018/20 Finance
The Treasurer explained the Council’s financial position at 31st January 2018 to Councillors and they all agreed that the finances were in good order.
20.1 Assertion 8 – The Treasurer read the details of Assertion 8 from the Annual Governance Statement and Cllrs agreed that the Council was compliant.
20.2 Request for a grant from the PCC of St Mary’s Church – a request for a grant had been received from St Mary’s Church for churchyard maintenance. The Clerk asked councillors to refer to NALC Legal Briefing notice LO1-18 – Financial Assistance to the Church and handed a copy to each councillor. Cllrs discussed the briefing and the Clerk advised them that HALC’s recommendation, based on NALC’s advice is that Parish Council’s cannot safely support the Church as there is no legal power to do so. Councillors however decided to make a grant of £500.00 to include the cost of maintenance of the boundary wall between the churchyard and council land. The treasurer was asked to raise a cheque.
The Treasurer reported that the fees for Bromyard Football Club for the final quarter of 2017 are still outstanding and he confirmed that he would chase them again.

2018/21 Planning
2017/59.1 P171270/F Caravan known as Lady Lute, Fromes Hill HR8 1HW
The Clerk confirmed that the Parish Council comments had been forwarded to Herefordshire planning department as agreed and advised Cllrs that a decision date has now been deferred to 12th March 2018.
2018/21.1 P180009/FH & P100010/L Frome Manor, Bishops Frome, WR6 5BB
This is a retrospective application. Cllr Partridge confirmed that he looked at this application and could see no problem with it.

2018/22 Fromes Hill Report
22.1 Fromes Hill Field – Cllr Partridge reported that the Fromes Hill Field Committee had met and agreed to ask the solicitor to move forward as soon as possible.
22.2 Traffic calming – Cllr Nash confirmed that he had prepared an email to be sent requesting that the 40mph speed restriction is extended westward. The Clerk agreed to forward the request on.
22.3 Community Speed Watch Scheme – this item was covered with the Community Support Officers.

2018/23 Bishops Frome Report
23.1 Village Gateway – The Clerk reported that she had chased up the costing for a village sign through Balfour Beatty but no quotes have so far been received.
23.2 Broadfield Close grass area – Cllr Guise reported that things were moving forward with Fortis Living and they are looking to lay a stone area to park 4-5 cars. The cost is likely to be in the region of £4000.00. A meeting is to take place next Monday between Fortis Living, Balfour Beatty and local residents. Cllr Chowns will also attend.
The Clerk explained that she had been investigating whether or not the Parish Council were able to contribute financially towards the parking spaces and after seeking advice, she advised Cllrs that because Fortis Living is a business and the parking spaces are being made on land believed to be owned by them, the Parish Council has no power to fund them to provide parking spaces. Cllr Guise said that he would check the ownership of the land.
23.3 Noticeboard at Village Centre – the Clerk advised councillors that the noticeboard on the Village Centre had fallen off the wall. Cllr Mrs Roberts advised that she had the noticeboard and was looking in to whether or not it could be repaired.
23.4 Play Area and surrounding field – 2 children’s ride on toys have been left in the Play Area for several weeks and they have not been claimed. As these toys are not officially play area equipment it was agreed that they should be removed for Health and Safety reasons.
Cllr Pudge reported that he had not yet established ownership of the hedge between Farm Court and the Play Area field.
Cllr Partridge advised that the wall between the Church and the Play Area field was being overrun by ivy. Cllr Parker said that he would take a look at the situation.
Cllr Mrs Roberts reported that some residents believed the trees near to the Village Centre and shop were affecting their television signals and were suggesting that they be cut down. Cllrs agreed that they did not feel that cutting down trees would be of any benefit.
Cllrs were also made aware that some vehicles have been parking on the Village Centre car park overnight despite the sign stating that there should be no overnight parking. The Clerk was asked to put a notice in the Frome valley News.

2018/24 Sports Committee Report
24.1 Fencing around car park – Cllr Parker reported that he had obtained 3 estimates for the replacement of the 2 bar rail fencing at the Sports Centre and he relayed details to the Council. Cllrs agreed to ask George Merrick Services to proceed with the works at an estimated cost of £818.00 plus VAT.

2018/25 NALC Legal Briefing LO1-18 – Financial Assistance to the Church – see 2018/20.2 above.

2018/26 Challenge Fund Phase 2 – resurfacing programme – Cllrs had a discussion around the proposals suggested by Hereford Council for the next phase of resurfacing on the A4103. The information from them had been received too late for the Council to forward comments before the draft action plan was to be prepared. However, Cllrs asked the Clerk to request that the diversion signs take drivers from Hereford to Burley Gate and then Newtown to put them back on the A4103 rather than diverting them via Bromyard.

2018/27 Ward Councillor Report – see above

2018/28 Footpaths Officer Report – Cllr Ms Sincock was advised to request a Kissing Gate be fitted in place of the broken stile at Fromes Hill if possible.
She also reported that BPF17 had been cleared by Balfour Beatty.
Cllr Parker reported that the landowner had now cleared BPF34 & 34a.
The hedge along the footpath at Fromes Hill has still not been cut despite verbal requests to the land owner. The next stage is to send a written request which will be organised by Cllr Ms Sincock and the Clerk.

2018/29 To note the information sheet and date of next meeting – The Clerk drew attention to the items on the information sheet, highlighting several items on HALC’s 5th Feb issue of Information Corner which had been previously circulated to councillors.

The next meeting will be on Tuesday 13th March 2018 and will be an open meeting for the public to view and discuss the Neighbourhood Development Plan.

There being no other business, the meeting concluded at 21.25.